Home Tour

The East Montrose Home Tour is BACK!

Saturday April 27, 2019

10am to 4pm 

Read the Houston Chronicle article about the Home Tour

The East Montrose Civic Association ("EMCA") will host its 12th Biennial Home Tour and Art Walk on Saturday, April 27, 2019, from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. East Montrose, referred to as "the Heart of Houston," was platted in the early 1900's -- back in the days when Houston's population numbered fewer than 300,000, and when a railroad ran down what is now Fairview.
 
During the 1960s, East Montrose became a center for counterculture and hippie communes, as well as home to the First Pagan Church of Houston. Today a diverse mix of people and architecture, this pedestrian-friendly area has been called the "strangest neighborhood east of the Pecos,", and was named one of the "ten great neighborhoods in America" by the American Planning Association.
 
The tour will highlight five houses that exhibit a variety of architectural styles. These homes have original build dates starting from the early 1900s. Tour goers can get a glimpse of how the architecture has been transformed over the years, with results of thoughtful renovations that are characteristic of this eclectic neighborhood.
 
Also visit the working studios of local artists, all within comfortable strolling distance. You'll be invited in to the space where artists get their inspiration and see where and how their crafts come to life.
 
Click here to view the flyer and maps.
 

2017 Photo Album

2015 Photo Album

2011 Photo Album

2019 Homes

 

1012 Peden was built in approximately 1930 in an Art Deco style on an oversized lot.  The home is larger than it looks from the street due to an addition of a bedroom, laundry room and bath that was added to the property at an unknown date. The previous owner, who designs and installs execute office spaces for a living, gutted the home to the studs and reconfigured the interior space to further emphasize it's Art Deco heritage in 1989 using commercial grade hardware through the home.  The current owner purchased the home in 2002.  The home features a large den / media room with Aubergine colored walls and clever hidden storage areas.  There is a spectacular "parlor" with vaulted ceiling, original fireplace, Art deco wall treatments and styling, rondel window, and a cloud ceiling. There is a lovely 1940's "glamour shot" style photo one of the original owners that hangs over the fireplace that was included with the home by the previous owner. The dining room has octagonal fir downs with a cloud ceiling and double French doors that open to a side patio. The dining room chandelier was added by the current owner.  The home features multiple glass pocket doors with painted stripes echoing the Art Deco theme. The master bedroom features a wall of closets with build in storage and mirrored French doors.  The master bath features granite salvaged from a downtown hi-rise building site and an oversized spa tub.  The current owner remodeled the kitchen by adding granite countertops, a wall of white subway tiles and a new section of cabinetry behind the built-in curio cabinet.  The second bath was gutted and rebuilt in 2016.  The second bedroom is currently being used as a home office and it opens to a small screened porch that overlooks the back yard.

502 Willard was built in 1912-13 in the American Foursquare design with balloon framing. The basic floorplan remains, although it was once divided into upstairs/downstairs apartments. The dining room retains the original oak floors and most of the upstairs has original pine floors. The house is distinctive for the exterior iron staircase to the second-floor veranda, lushly covered the past 25 years in Confederate Star Jasmine. Another distinctive feature is the pitched roof of pressed metal shingles, replacing the original Victorian embossed metal shingles that lasted until Hurricane Ike in 2008. The current owners have lived here since 1988. They enlarged the upstairs bathroom in 2008 and refurbished the downstairs from 2013 to the present, returning ceilings to near original height, redesigning an outdated kitchen, rebuilding the firebox and mantel, landscaping, and fencing the yard. They also reintroduced discoveries found in the attic: original living room windows that frame the chimney and a brass shower-pan chandelier with six flame-shade drop lights that they installed in the foyer.  Snacks provided by Cowboys and Indians!

808 Bomar was built in 1914.  The interior renovation of this 1,100 square foot house alludes to the English influences on the American Craftsman house. The owner / architect achieved this effect with the use of refined interior details and materials juxtaposed against muted colors throughout. The walls and the original distinct trim are painted in the same color, reminiscent of old plaster—in contrast, the modest pine floor is stained dark gray-taupe.

Owing to the use of medium to dark tones and a distinctly veined Manchester grey countertop, the kitchen is simultaneously visually muted to expand the perception of space, and activated as a gathering space. Extending the language of an English kitchen, the previous hallway was incorporated as a multi-functional butler’s pantry, appliance garage, broom storage and utility room.

The single bath was given the appearance of a powder room, with the functionality of a full bath. Linen storage was concealed flush behind a cabinet wall, inset with beveled mirror panels. The use of unexpectedly extravagant materials (white onyx floor with nero marquina marble border) transformed a diminutive room into a jewel box.

The 1914 front porch was enclosed and finished as a foyer and sitting room. On a trip to Chicago, the owner visited an exquisitely restored Gilded Age mansion. A distinct feature of Driehaus Museum was the extensive use of ceramic tile, custom designed and laid as wall covering throughout the formal rooms, which influenced the selection of the crackle glaze mosaic wall tile.  Snacks provided by Chef Soren Pedersen!

701 Welch was built in 1908.  The owners tried to preserve as much of the DNA from the original home, while provid-ing a home the modern luxury seeking home owner could en-joy calling home. The House was built in 1908, the Cypress columns out front are original to the home. They are structural and have held up for 120 years. The glazing across the front of the home, and much of the mill work in the house, as well as a lot of the flooring are also original to the home.
The owners opted for a heavy mill work/cornice profile, and the details are carried through all three floors. Subway tiles and hand made, concrete, decorative tiles are also in play, to lend to the early twentieth century design. Older homes are bathroom challenged, so they added a full bath on the second floor, but the bulk of the addition was done by adding the en-tire 3rd floor and the garage. There are two true master bedrooms in the house. The third floor functions as a master suite/study/reading or work out area and still has flex space to boot. Walk in closets added to both masters, free standing tubs and bidet in tandem with the water closets. They extended the bottom porch, the wrap all the way down the Stanford side of the home as well.
The finishes are lavish also, in keeping with the roaring twenties and the period that preceded them. Many folks think " Historical" means small, but that isn't the case with homes built before the Great Depression. Much like today, homeowners from that time felt their homes were an extension of themselves and their life style. Thus, the owners opted for Quartzite counter top, over sized decorative lighting, many with crystals, a chefs kitchen decked out with Viking appliances and a massive island. The house, while being a 120 years old, is basically brand new: the electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and insulation systems are all new as well. The own-ers have attempted to remodel in a way that offers the best of both worlds for the modern luxury home owner seeking to own a piece of Houston's history.

402 Welch Like the other earliest twentieth cen-tury homes in East Montrose, 402 Welch enjoys quite high ceilings on both the first and second floors which helps the house stay cool in the Houston climate. Probably for the same reason, the deep porches run the entire width of the house on both floors.
After a period of being divided into rental units, in 2013, our own Eli and Luis drew up plans and restored this grand old house on the corner to its former glory as a single family home. Deep crown moldings, all hardwood floors (some origi-nal) an open concept on the first floor and many period-correct features were married to enormous energy efficient windows and fixtures. Eli also added a new garage with a studio apart-ment.
They enlarged the upstairs bathroom in 2008 and refurbished the downstairs from 2013 to the present, returning ceilings to near original height, redesigning an outdated kitchen, rebuilding the firebox and mantel, landscaping, and fencing the yard.
The Bells also designed and created a new landscape scheme. Beginning by re-grading to improve drainage, mature native drought and wet welcoming Sycamore, Cypress, Olive, and non-bearing fruit varieties were planted and the rest filled in with decorative rock and native plantings. No sprinkler system has ever been installed or used, nor commercial fertilizer. While the landscape does need more pruning than it receives, the effect is a private shade-filled haven to rest on a pair of chairs "retired" from a park in France.
The studio apartment received central air conditioning, new lights and ceiling fans, and is decorated in modern cottage design. While the apartment is rented to a fabulous Rice PhD history student who is approaching the end of the semester, you can see the photographs of it on our HAR.com listing. Snacks provided by Midtown Bar & Grill!